There are many strong prescription medicines available on the market to treat toenail fungus symptoms. These medicines are often not effectual enough and leave detrimental side effects. This is one of the primary reasons for an increasing number of persons to look towards natural remedies to provide everlasting relief from the toenail fungus infection.
Among the many natural treatments for toenail fungus infection, apple cider vinegar is one of the best. It is a completely natural product with very less side effects if any and the best part is that it is not all that costly at all when compared with the traditional prescription medicines.
How does the apple cider vinegar work?
The fundamental science behind the usage of apple cider vinegar for toenail fungus treatment is that fungus, usually do not thrive in an acidic atmosphere and so the immersion of the infected toenails in a substance containing a high proportion of acid or acidic material could kill the fungus.
The nail and skin affected by toenail fungus infection experience a vast change in their pH, which becomes increasingly alkaline. Such a basic or alkaline nature is conducive to the further growth of the fungus. If there occurs a change in the pH of such an infected toenail where it alters from alkaline into a more acidic level then it causes the fungus to die. Apple cider vinegars helps you in bringing about this exact change. This natural remedy is acidic enough to kill the fungus although it is equally mild so it does not harm the nearby skin and nail.
Method of using apple cider vinegar
A very popular and common method of employing apple cider vinegar for toenail fungus treatment is by subjecting yourself to a footbath in this vinegar. Follow the below routine to perform an effective footbath.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with warm water, in the ratio of 1:2 respectively, in a basin. The water should not be very hot as it can lead to burns on your feet. Now immerse your feet in this basin for around half an hour.
- After half an hour, take out your feet and thoroughly wash the apple cider vinegar from the infected spots. There should be no traces of vinegar left on the skin as it could cause skin irritation.
- Wrap a dry, clean towel around the foot to soak up any leftover excess apple cider vinegar. Pat the feet gently to dry them completely. Make cure that toenails and the surrounding skin are totally dry without any moisture as fungus like moisture and spread quickly in a moist atmosphere.
- The basin used for the immersion must be washed properly till it is fully free from every trace of the apple cider vinegar. Then dry it both by wiping it with a clean, dry cloth and by letting it to air dry. Once completely dry, store the basin in dry place that is devoid of moisture. If you happen to notice any tiny signs of mold then stop using the basin and switch to a new one as mold could quickly lead to fungus growth.
- Similarly wash the towels thoroughly used for cleaning your feet immediately after the routine.
- Perform this footbath at least once a day. If you experience any irritation or inconvenience then do this treatment 3-4 times a week.
Quick treatment method
If you feel that you may not be able to spend to half an hour for daily footbaths then try this quick method.
- Pour about 2 to 3 drops of apple cider vinegar straight onto the nail bed.
- Let the vinegar drops to rest on the nail bed for sometime, say 5-7 minutes, without any sort of disturbance, to get best results.
- Then wash and dry your feet properly.
- Do this routine 2 or 3 times in a day.
- You can also use this quick method simultaneously along with the complete footbath.
The use of apple cider vinegar for toenail fungus treatment should be performed till the infected nail grows out completely and gets removed. Then you will see the growth of a healthy nail that replaces this affected nail. At this point you can be more or less certain that the fungus is dead and a new nail has grown in place. Usually this process is long and could take about 2-3 months. Till that happens, keep cutting your infected nails and use apple cider vinegar treatment regularly as suggested. Also remember to keep your toenails clean and dry.
Keep in mind that you will have to keep using this treatment diligently till the desired results are obtained. As mentioned above, it could take about 2-3 months and it varies with each person. So a level of consistency and determination on your part is of utmost necessity. If you are going to start this routine then be persistent enough to continue it until you find yourself fully recovered, with healthy, re-grown toenails. As with as any treatment, consult your doctor before you get started with the apple cider vinegar as a toenail fungus treatment.